The following entry is typical of the more than 2700 entries in Monterey County Place Names. It's for the no-longer-extant town of Manchester on the south coast. Please see, "How to use this book" for an explanation of the references and abbreviations in the entry.

(Note: because of formatting differences, this is not an exact representation of the printed page. A more accurate file in Adobe PDF format is available here)

~~~~~~~~

 

Manchester The now completely obliterated town of Manchester (sometimes referred to as “The Lost City of the Santa Lucias”) was located just S of the Last Chance Mine, 22 m SW of Jolon and 3 m from the ocean in NWQ Sec.1 T24S R5E. Around 1887 it had a population estimated by different authorities as between 125 and 500 people, with a hotel, two general stores, barber shop, blacksmith shop, a one-room schoolhouse, mess halls, bunkhouses, a number of cabins, a small cemetery, a dance hall, and several saloons.

How Manchester got its name is typical of how gold camps up and down the state were tagged with a brand. As the story goes, “During the early days a huge blacksmith, bearing the name Manchester and the strength of a grizzly, got into a scrap with one of the miners. As the fight wore on, Manchester’s thumb was chawed clean off in the middle. When Manchester realized he was minus his thumb, he got all the madder and, with one mighty blow, laid the miner out on the hard cold ground.

After the fight a group of miners were discussing the violent event, and one miner commented, “Some man, that Manchester.” With that remark the original community of Alder Creek became known as Manchester. — Reinstedt.

Whatever the truth of this story, it is known that the town was named for Abraham Manchester, a lumberman, “an old prospector from Santa Cruz County who had much influence in the new city” (Coulter). Manchester was born in Rhode Island; he settled in this area in the 1860s, and registered to vote, April 23, 1870. On September 14, 1889, a post office was established at Manchester and the name of the village was changed to Mansfield (q.v.) after Curnell Harry Mansfield. In 1906 or 1909 a fire leveled the town.

Ref: Great Register A; Paulson 1875:284; California State Mineralogist. Eleventh Report, September 15, 1892. Sacramento, 1893; C. H. Davis “The Los Burros Mining District” in Mining and Scientific Press, May 15, 1912; Coulter 1926:148; Salt 1951:69; Lussier 1965:38; Hart 1966:44; Bostwick 1970:26; “Ghost Mines of the Santa Lucia Mountains” by John Woolfenden in Weekend Magazine, July 22, 1972; Reinstedt 1973:13-14; Hale 1980:175; The Rustler, centennial edition, King City, July 2, 1986:10A

Map: Monterey 1971:map A, Breschini 1983:map #14 as Manchester; 1892MAS, Cyclists 1895:map #2, 1898HAR, 1903CAL, Hamlin 1904:10, 1907WEB, 1910REC, 1914JUD, 1918USD, 1924USD, 1925MON as Mansfield; Howard 1979:75 as Mansfield Site, also shows Mansfield Homestead, House, Fruit Orchard; 1888USA shows Mansfield Ranch; USS-T23S-R5E 1879-1883 shows Mansfield’s Field (Sec.18); Harrington 1932:Reel 88:619 shows Mansfield’s house; California State Mineralogist. Eleventh Report, September 15, 1892. Sacramento, 1893 shows Manchester Townsite